fbpx
Connect with us

News

Philippines eyes bid to host 2030 Asian Games

Published

on

MANILA, Philippines — Even before the conclusion of the 30th Southeast Asian (SEA) Games, the government is already setting its sights on the Asian Games a decade away.

Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano, chairman of the Philippine Southeast Asian Games Organizing Committee (Phisgoc), said yesterday he would make the proposal to President Duterte.

“I’m preparing a long memo to the President to ask if we can bid (for the 2030 Asian Games). If we do win that bid, the host will be the administration after the next administration. So we will have a good 10-year period to prepare,” Cayetano said in an interview.

The opening ceremony of the SEA Games on Nov. 30 has won praise, although it has not been free of controversy. Cayetano believes that hosting another international event would be a good investment for the country.

“Remember, in 2023, we will host the basketball World Cup. And in 2016 or 2017 we hosted the World Cup in volleyball. Industry-wise, this will bring in big money and employment opportunities to Filipinos if we develop our sports tourism,” he stressed.

The Speaker said he had discussed the matter with the Philippine Olympic Committee president and Cavite 8th district Rep. Bambol Tolentino, who favored the proposal.

Cayetano suggested that the Duterte administration may pass on the bid to the next administration, and then to the next administration that would be in charge of the hosting.

“What is advantageous with the Asian Games is that venues need not be just in Luzon, and you can actually build facilities in the Visayas and Mindanao,” the representative of Taguig and Pateros pointed out, Philippine Star reports.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

Coronavirus Watch as of February 16, 2019

Published

on

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Health (DOH) continues to place persons under investigation for possible cases of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV).

As of Sunday, February 16, the DOH said it has probed 498 patients. There is still no recorded local transmission in the country.

Out of this number:

  • 159 – admitted in hospitals
  • 336 – discharged from hospitals
  • – confirmed cases

Of the 3 confirmed cases in the Philippines, one died due to severe pneumonia because of novel coronavirus, while the other two have since recovered and are already out of the hospital.

Below is the latest breakdown of the persons under investigation per region. All numbers are from the DOH’s 2019-nCov tracker. Via Rappler

Continue Reading

News

China officials fired as coronovirus deaths surge past 1,300

Published

on

Health officials in China‘s hard-hit central province of Hubei reported on Thursday that 242 more people died from the coronavirus COVID-19 as of Wednesday – the highest in a single day and more than twice the previous record high – pushing the death toll across the country to 1,355.

The province’s health commission also reported a huge jump in new cases, saying a further 14,840 people had been confirmed with the infection over the 24-hour period to midnight on Wednesday (16:00 GMT).

As this developed, the official Xinhua news agency reported on Thursday that the head of the Communist party in the province of Hubei has been relieved of his post – the latest in a line of local officials fired.

Hubei is at the centre of the outbreak, which is thought to have originated in a now-closed seafood market in the capital of Wuhan late last year.

Former Shanghai Mayor Ying Yong has been appointed as the new secretary of the Hubei Provincial Committee of the Communist Party of China, replacing Jiang Chaoliang, the report said, citing the party’s central committee.

Al Jazeera’s Katrina Yu, reporting from Beijing, said “it was expected that somebody’s head was on the chopping block”.

“There’s been a lot of criticism about the information not being so forthcoming” from Hubei officials, she added. (Via AlJazeera)

Continue Reading

News

NBA Legend Kobe Bryant dies at 41

Published

on

Basketball legend Kobe Bryant, 41, and his 13-year-old daughter Gianna Maria Onore Bryant were among nine people killed in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California, on Sunday.

It’s hard to believe NBA superstar Kobe Bryant, whose prodigious talent and win-at-all-costs spirit made him one of the most famous and decorated athletes in history, is gone.

He was the rare celebrity who didn’t need a last name. Oprah. LeBron. Beyonce. Kobe. Everyone knew who you were talking about.
Still youthful at 41, Bryant — who died in a helicopter crash Sunday in California — looked like he could suit up and drop 30 points on a rival NBA team. It doesn’t seem that long ago that he was scoring 60 points in his final NBA game, soaking up the cheers of Los Angeles Lakers fans who worshiped him for two decades as one of the city’s favorite sons.
After his 20-year NBA career — all with the Lakers — Bryant is all but assured of being a first-ballot inductee into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame later this year.
“He was a fierce competitor, one of the greats of the game and a creative force,” said fellow NBA icon Michael Jordan, CNN Reports.

Continue Reading

Trending