MANILA, Philippines — The world should look at China’s rise as “an opportunity rather than a threat,” House Speaker Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo has insisted despite criticisms that infrastructure loan deals between the Philippines and China would be “detrimental” to the country.
“… China’s effort in opening up has really been a boost for the economies of the world, especially the developing economies. The world should look at China’s rise as an opportunity rather than a threat,” the former President told reporters Thursday when she attended the Boao Forum for Asia (BFA) Annual Conference in Hainan, China.
She is a member of the Board of BFA, which gathers together leaders in government, business, and academic institutions throughout Asia to share their thoughts on the most pressing issues in the region and the world.
The Pampanga congresswoman said China “is a market, a donor and a provider of capital and technology” for developing countries.
“You know, when China was beginning to develop, about six years into its transformation, I was undersecretary of trade and industry, and we were looking at this economic dragon that was rising in Asia, and we were wondering when China would become a competitor in the world,” Arroyo recounted.
“Little did we know that China is in a class of its own, and now, 40 years later under the presidency of Xi Jinping, it has become a partner in development. China, for us in the developing countries, is a market, a donor and a provider of capital and technology,” she continued.
The Philippines, she pointed out, has become China’s “no. 1 trading partner.”
“As a market for instance, it has become the Philippines’ number one trading partner. So we have been able to benefit a lot by selling goods to China. Agricultural products for instance, if you eat a banana, it’s probably from the Philippines. So it’s been a very big market for the Philippines,” she said.
The lawmaker also mentioned that China has been a “major source of assistance to some of the Philippines’ major infrastructure projects,” as well as a “major market for Filipino-Chinese businessmen.”
Coronavirus Watch as of February 16, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Health (DOH) continues to place persons under investigation for possible cases of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
As of Sunday, February 16, the DOH said it has probed 498 patients. There is still no recorded local transmission in the country.
Out of this number:
- 159 – admitted in hospitals
- 336 – discharged from hospitals
- 3 – confirmed cases
Of the 3 confirmed cases in the Philippines, one died due to severe pneumonia because of novel coronavirus, while the other two have since recovered and are already out of the hospital.
China officials fired as coronovirus deaths surge past 1,300
Health officials in China‘s hard-hit central province of Hubei reported on Thursday that 242 more people died from the coronavirus COVID-19 as of Wednesday – the highest in a single day and more than twice the previous record high – pushing the death toll across the country to 1,355.
The province’s health commission also reported a huge jump in new cases, saying a further 14,840 people had been confirmed with the infection over the 24-hour period to midnight on Wednesday (16:00 GMT).
As this developed, the official Xinhua news agency reported on Thursday that the head of the Communist party in the province of Hubei has been relieved of his post – the latest in a line of local officials fired.
Hubei is at the centre of the outbreak, which is thought to have originated in a now-closed seafood market in the capital of Wuhan late last year.
Former Shanghai Mayor Ying Yong has been appointed as the new secretary of the Hubei Provincial Committee of the Communist Party of China, replacing Jiang Chaoliang, the report said, citing the party’s central committee.
Al Jazeera’s Katrina Yu, reporting from Beijing, said “it was expected that somebody’s head was on the chopping block”.
“There’s been a lot of criticism about the information not being so forthcoming” from Hubei officials, she added. (Via AlJazeera)
NBA Legend Kobe Bryant dies at 41
Basketball legend Kobe Bryant, 41, and his 13-year-old daughter Gianna Maria Onore Bryant were among nine people killed in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California, on Sunday.
It’s hard to believe NBA superstar Kobe Bryant, whose prodigious talent and win-at-all-costs spirit made him one of the most famous and decorated athletes in history, is gone.